You should immediately fix any plumbing leaks. The problem will be solved, regardless of whether you call water damage professionals or do it yourself. You now have a big job.
Water Leak Clean Up
This work cannot wait. It is essential that everything be dried and cleaned as soon as possible, including floors, walls, cabinets, and personal belongings. If moisture is allowed to spread, mold can form, and it becomes more difficult.
Let’s take a look at the most important points to remember when cleaning up a leaky pipe.
What are the MAIN CAUSES of water leakage in a home?
Plumbing is easy to assume. Copper pipes, PEX drain pipes and PVC pipes keep the water supply in your home under control.
If something goes wrong in the system, it is usually due to one of these common causes for water leaks in your home plumbing.
- Pipe joint damage, especially in hot water pipes
- Old water pipes are prone to corrosion and other damage.
- Bad seals around appliances line connections
- Pipe bursts or overflows are caused by clogs or backups
- Water pressure that is excessively high or highly fluctuating
- Problems with exterior pipes caused by invasive tree root growth
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO CLEAN UP AWARENESS FROM WATER LEAKS?
5 STEPS YOU NEED TO DO RIGHT NOW
The basics are the most important part of any plumbing leak repair job. Find the problem and fix it. If the weather is good, you can open the windows in the affected area. These are the five steps to clean up a leaky pipe.
DOCUMENT and MOVE
Take pictures if you are going to file a homeowners insurance claim. Keep the documentation for proof of damage to your adjuster. Next, make sure you have enough space to move things around. While many items dry faster outside, it is important to monitor the weather.
EXTRACT THE WATER
The size of the leak will determine the water extraction method. A mop and clean towels are sufficient to remove water from damp floors. A dry-dry vac is better for wet floors than areas with standing water.
It is possible to rent the equipment. A small home dehumidifier won’t be able to dry floors, walls, and cabinets.
CLEAN AND DISINFECT
Water that leaks from a drain or appliance hose is considered to be contaminated. Even clean water coming from a main line can leave behind moisture which breeds mold and mildew. It is important to disinfect and clean all surfaces.
Begin by cleaning everything with a mild detergent. Then, use a mixture of bleach and water to disinfect porous surfaces. Use products that are designed to disinfect porous surfaces to finish any remaining areas.
SET UP DRYING EQUIPMENT
Open windows to let fresh air in, even if it’s not too humid. The dehumidifier should be placed in the middle of the room. Be patient and check walls with a moisture tester every day. Allow the equipment to run for at least two or three days. It is possible to reduce drying time by leaving cabinet and closet doors open.
INSPECT, REPAIR, AND REPLACE
After everything has dried, inspect it carefully for any signs of structural damage. Drywall might need to be removed and replaced. You should inspect floors, carpets, and padding for signs of mold. Do not attempt to save anything if you are unsure about the repairs. You should replace any water-damaged material or call certified restoration professionals.
ADDITIONAL PLUMBING LEAK CLEANUP TIPS
Be Safe – Avoid electrical hazards. Turn off the electricity to your home at the breaker box if the appliance or outlets are affected by the leak.
Protect Yourself – Most plumbing leaks cause contaminated grey water to spread, so make sure you are dressed up before you begin cleaning up. Rubber boots, gloves, dust mask, and eye protection are all recommended.
Take into consideration the Weight. Ask for assistance with heavy lifting. An extra hand can make the job easier and save time if you have to move furniture or pull up carpets.
Set out Desiccants These silica gel products absorb water from the surrounding materials. Place desiccant tubs and bags near damp walls and baseboards.
Don’t Forget Drains Water travels down from the source of the leak so don’t let a blocked drain stop you from cleaning up. Check that all drains are free and flowing.
ID Mold and Mildew are two common issues after a plumbing problem. Learn the differences between mold and mildew to find the best cleaning methods.
Follow the Weather – Get your local forecast. Sunny days with low humidity make it easy to open windows in the affected areas. Keep everything closed if possible.
HOW DO I DRY A FLOORING AFTER A WATER LAKE?
Although a wet-vac can remove most of the water from soaked floors, it will not eliminate any moisture that could cause long-term problems. These tips will help you dry your floor quickly after a plumbing problem.
- Take out the baseboards before drying.
- Use the wet-vac to clean floors.
- Vinyl flooring, carpet or padding made from pull up vinyl.
Vinyl floor coverings and carpets that have been soaked are not always salvageable. Be prepared to throw them away. You should be alert for signs of sub-flooring that has been damaged by water.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO DRY CABINETS IN THE EVENT OF A WATER LEAKAGE?
Flooding cabinets can be caused by leaking drain and supply lines beneath bathroom sinks. Cabinets, whether they are made of solid wood, plywood, or particle board need additional drying.
- Remove all cabinet contents and doors.
- Remove all shelves to increase air circulation
- Take out cabinet kick-plates and inspect for water damage.
- Place large desiccant packs inside cabinets.
HOW DO YOU DRY HARDWOOD AFTER A WATER DRAIN?
It takes strong air circulation and surface drying to dry a wood floor or frame inside walls or furniture. As we have already mentioned, you will need to set up fans and a humidifier.
These tips will help speed up the wood drying process.
- Remove insulation and drywall to expose wet structural wood
- Remove soaked carpets and vinyl as soon as you can.
- Increase air circulation by emptying drawers and shelves in areas that are water damaged.
- Wipe wood furniture with damp cloths, and then dry it.
- Structural drying is what we recommend to help with heavy water damage.
HOW DO YOU CONTACT THE PROS FOR PLUMBING LEAK CLEANUP?
It doesn’t matter how many times plumbing leak cleanup has been attempted, it is not an easy task. There are times when you may be second-guessing your decision. Call a water damage restoration company if the job seems overwhelming. Contact the professionals immediately if you find yourself in any of these situations.
- Multiple room flooding or water in the basement
- Leakage from pipes through a ceiling .Especially around light fixtures
- Undiscovered plumbing leakage that goes unreported for over 8 hours
- Soggy carpet, warped vinyl, or buckling hardwood flooring
- Crumbling drywall or Wet insulation, or Signs of Mold
- Leakage of any kind of sewer cleanup
HOW TO PREVENT FUTURE PLUMBING LEAKS
A homeowner’s nightmare can quickly become cleaning up a water damaged house. You can avoid the hassle by knowing how to stop leaking pipes. These tips can make a huge difference.
- Inspect pipes, fittings and joints regularly.
- Routinely inspect the water connections and hoses to your appliance.
- Be on the lookout for unusually high monthly water consumption.
- Check that your water pressure is not too high in your home.
- Always Insulate pipes before freezing temperatures set in.
FAQS WATER LEAK CLEANUP
WHAT DUTY DO I HAVE TO USE A DEHUMIDIFIER IN THE TERM OF A LEAK?
A dehumidifier can be used in conjunction with large fans and air-movers to reduce drying time. A dehumidifier can be used for up to 24 hours if there isn’t much water damage. Larger projects may take longer. Regularly empty your dehumidifier bucket.
HOW FAST DOES MOLD GROW AFTER A WATER LEAK?
Mold can quickly spread from a plumbing leak to damp and porous materials like carpeting and drywall. Mold caused by water damage can develop within 24 hours. The microscopic fungus infiltrates wood framing and causes long-term structural damage. It also contaminates the interior air and can impact your health.
We’ve seen that plumbing leaks behind walls can be difficult to spot, so don’t be surprised if you find mold in your cleanup. As long as the affected areas don’t exceed 3 square feet , you can do DIY mold cleanup .
It is safer to have mold remediation professionals handle the job using certified removal and remediation methods.
DOES WATER LEAKAGE ALWAYS CAUSE MOLD
Most cases, yes. It is difficult to complete a large DIY leak repair job in 24 hours. It takes several days to dry, so disinfect all surfaces that have been affected by water. To mitigate the problem, a certified restoration company employs advanced structural drying techniques.
WHAT IS THE COST TO REPAIRING PLUMBING WATER DAMAGE?
There are many factors that influence the cost of fixing a leaky pipe. Most plumbing repairs are simple. Repairs to pipes, drains and lines are usually simple. Leaky plumbing can also cause water damage.
Hidden leaks can often lead to higher costs.
- Drywall damage – removal and replacement
- Structural repairs to load bearing framing, beams, and joists
- Reconstruction and stabilization of the buckled ceiling
- Sub-flooring and wood floors that are warped or buckled need to be repaired
- Removal and replacement of vinyl or rubbed carpet
- Removal and remediation of mold growth
The extent of water damage and pipe repair costs will affect the cost of repairs. The average cost of plumbing repairs is between $150 and $350 . The average cost of professional water damage cleanup and restoration services is generally between $2000 and $4000.
Homeowners Insurance typically covers the cost of repairing a pipe, as well as certified cleanup and restoration services. We work closely with national and local insurers and are always available to assist you in filing your water damage claim.
Is my home at risk from a plumbing leak?
Many homeowners are surprised by how quickly water damage spreads from the source of the leak. Even a tiny drip can cause damp to seep into structural materials. These are just a few ways a leaky plumbing pipe can cause damage to your home.
Rusted metal – This form of corrosion occurs when moisture and air mix on metal. It’s common to see it around leaky pipes or plumbing fixtures.
Moisture in wooden structural parts can lead to fungus and wood rot Wall framing, wall plates and ceiling joists are all affected by fungal decay.
Floors Damaged– Vinyl and water damage can cause floor sub-flooring to fail and lead to flooring joist and sub-flooring failure. Hardwood floors can buckle or warp easily.
Electrical Problems – Your home’s safety depends on the wiring inside walls and ceilings. These areas could be a source of dangerous electrical hazards.
Hidden Mold Growth Mold growth can spread through damp drywall or wood if it is not properly cleaned up, dried, and sanitized. Mold can cause structural damage, spread airborne spores, and compromise indoor air quality.
WHAT IS CONSIDERED A PLUMBING DRAIN EMERGENCY?
A leaking pipe is not something you think about as an emergency. Most times, plumbing repairs can resolve the problem and then you can move on to water damage cleanup. This homeowner’s headache can easily turn into an emergency.
- A potential ceiling that has been water damaged is a danger
- Exposition to contaminated water from sewage line
- Leakages in plumbing that are beyond your reach, such as those found within walls or high up in ceilings
- Shut-off valve failure in the main water line entering your home
- Leakage of electrical wiring, outlets, light fixtures, or appliances
- A pilot light that has gone out or submerged connections to the water heater.
Contact a local Long Beach water damage company with 24/7 assistance if you are facing any of these issues.