It should be part of your daily routine to maintain your plumbing system and drains. I have never met a homeowner who wants to spend money cleaning their drains. It cost me a few dollars to have a plumber come to my home the last time I checked. Minor plumbing problems are easy for most people. A majority of homeowners and renters can clear a sink, toilet or bathtub.
You may need to hire a drain cleaning professional in Long Beach, CA if your clog is very deep. This may also require more heavy equipment. Most cases, a highly-powered plumber’s snake can resolve the problem. Hydro jetting machines are used to remove the most stubborn clogs. However, it is best to keep your drains clean.
DRAIN CLEANERS are Not the Best Option for CLOG-FREE DRAINS
Maintenance is the best way to keep your drains clear. First, be careful about what goes down your drain. The most common problem with slow-moving or clogged drains is in bathrooms used by teens or young children. Because they receive so much activity, Jack and Jill corner bathroom are often the most affected.
Hair, soap, toothpaste and skin cells are all common causes of clogging bathroom sink drains. This bacteria is commonly known as black slime. These are some tips to create clog free drains.
HIGH TRAFFIC BATHTUBS AND SINKS:
- After each use, run hot water down your sink.
- Boil a kettle of water once a week and then pour it down the sink. This will stop bacteria from growing.
- When you are cleaning the bathroom, put a few tablespoons of baking soda down your drains. Then slowly add white vinegar to the baking soda. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before you rinse.
FOR YOUR TOILET DRAINS:
- Your teens and young children should be taught what not to do with your drains.
- Never use tampons, or any other feminine hygiene products.
- Never put paper towels in your drains
- No wipe, no matter how flushable they are. There is no governing body that regulates whether a wipe can be flushed.
- No cotton balls, cotton strips, or Q-tips
When in doubt, just toss it out. Toilets are for liquid and solid waste only. All other waste should be thrown out.
DRAIN CLEANERS DO NOT WORK ON ANYTHING MORE THAN a VERY MINOR CLOG
These are the basic steps to unclog minor bathroom drains. Although most companies will say that liquid drain cleaners can damage pipes, Drano and Liquid Plumber are laboratory tested and won’t harm your drains. They may not be the best for the environment and are known to be ineffective at clearing clogs.
These products should not be used to clear a clogged toilet. They could damage the wax rings. However, they can be useful for minor clogged drains. Organic drain cleaning products are also available.
THE BEST WAY TO CLEAR A BATHROOM SINK
Your bathroom drain can be cleared by removing the stopper and clearing it. The stopper is typically at the top of your drain. After you have removed the stopper you can use a metal coat hanger to remove the clog.
Zip-It is another option. This long, plastic product has barbs that pull the debris out of your drain. You can purchase it at your local hardware shop or online for a small amount. To clean your drain you can use an old toothbrush mixed with baking soda vinegar. Then, pour boiling water over it to complete the job.
MAINTAIN GARBAGE DISPOSAL
The garbage disposal has been one of our most used appliances. We can dramatically increase our life expectancy if we pay attention to what goes down them. These are the things that you shouldn’t do when disposing of your garbage disposal.
- Avoid putting vegetable oils, butters, margarine, meat fats, or shortening down your drain.
- Coffee grounds are not required
- No eggshells
- Never eat meat, poultry, or bones.
- There are no fibrous foods like celery and banana peels
- Avoid starches such as potato peels and rice
COMPOSTING IS A WIN IF YOU HAVE DRAINS
Stop wasting your time and money on garbage disposals. Start composting . You can get a beautiful composting bucket for less than $25. Your eggshells, coffee grounds and banana peels can be deposited in your composting container. To dispose of vegetable and fruit food scraps, you should have a bigger composter. This will create great fertilizer for your garden.
Eggshells contain calcium and banana peels provide potassium. This will prevent landfills from overflowing, prolong the life of your garbage disposal and keep your drains clear. One way to maintain your drains is composting.