Clogged kitchen sink drains are not fun. It doesn’t matter if it’s a slow or full backup situation, there will be a time when you or someone you love will have to deal with a blocked kitchen sink drain. It is possible for things to get more complicated if you have an important item accidentally clogged your drain .
Here are the steps you need to take before calling your Long Beach plumber:
DIY DRAIN CLEANER: HOW TO CLEAR A SLOW DRAINING KITCHEN SINK CLOG
Chemical drain cleaners are expensive and can cause damage to the environment. You can use vinegar and baking soda for an environmentally-friendly solution. These are the steps to follow:
- Take out the drain cover or kitchen sink stopper
- Place 1/2 cup baking soda into the drain
- Place 1 cup of white wine in the drain
- Let it sit for 10 minutes, then add boiling water to the bowl.
To help prevent future clogs, make sure to flush the drain. The resulting chemical reaction from your at home solution can often dissolve slow drains and repair clogged drains.
DIRECTIONS TO PLUNGE A CLOGGED KITCHEN SINK
This is the best method to clear standing water clogs. To avoid germ spreading, use a kitchen plunger and not a bathroom plunger. Follow these simple steps:
- Double sinks: To prevent water from escaping, use a wet cloth to plug the drain.
- Pour a little water into the sink to loosen the plug.
- Start to plunge. Remember that it is all about moving up, not down. You should be able to move any food or paper products that are stuck in the pipes.
If you do not think that plunging will fix the problem, there are other options.
FILL THE CLOGGED DAIN WITH A WIRE COAT HANGER
Make a wire coat hanger a pipe cleaner by using your imagination.
- Use pliers to attach a small hook to the end
- Put the coat hanger in and move it around to loosen any food stuck to the pipe.
You may be able to succeed where the plunger failed. Avoid sticking equipment or other appendages in a garbage disposal without first cutting off the fuse.
USE A DRAIN SNAKE TO CLEAR THE CLOG
You may find that the clog is further down the drain. In this case, none of these methods will work. Follow these steps if this is the case:
- Use a drain snake to run down your kitchen drain. These are available at your local hardware shop, just like the ones mentioned above.
- If this fails, you might need to remove the trap under the sink and snake the drain further. You may need to use rubber gloves as this will require some hands-on work. To catch any water that may get in the trap, make sure you place a bucket underneath it. You can then start to snake the drain.
Use a WET VACUUM or “SHOP VAC”
Vacuums that are both wet and dry have a lot of suction.
- Cover the vent with a wet vacuum and “liquids”.
- Make sure to seal the drain completely and cover the tube with a fingernail or a rag.
A wet vacuum is often enough to pull the blockage up and unclog your drain. To identify the cause of the blockage, check the bag for hair and grease. In addition, you can also use a wet vacuum to remove jewelry from the drain.
STEP FINAL: CALL A PROFESSIONAL LONG BEACH PLUMBER
After you have exhausted all other options to clear your blocked drain, it is time to contact a local Long Beach plumber.