We’ve all been there. You’re flushing the toilet or washing your hands, but instead of going down the sink, the water keeps rising. It is not only an inconvenience but can also cause costly damage if they aren’t treated quickly and properly. You may be able, before calling a professional Long Beach Plumber, to clear clogged drains at-home.
These are the top five drain cleaning tips that homeowners can use in order to restore their drain pipes’ peak performance.
It’s simple and effective to pour hot water down a blocked or dirty drain to get things back to normal. Pour boiling water down your drain for approximately 15 minutes, pausing in between. It may be possible to move gunk and clogged materials again by heating the water.
Baking Soda and White Vinegar
Baking soda and vinegar create a chemical reaction that bubbles up and breaks down any materials in pipes. This powerful combination is not harmful to the pipes’ walls. After one teaspoon of baking soda, pour one teaspoon of vinegar down the drain pipes. Follow this up with boiling water for five minutes. This will clear your drain and remove any clogs without the use of harsh chemicals.
Drain Snake/Bent Wire Hanger
Professional Long Beach Plumbers use drain snakes to clear clogs. You can find this tool at most grocery stores and your local home improvement shop. You can use a drain snake to do this:
- Turn the handle clockwise to guide the snake through the drain pipe until it comes in contact with debris.
- Rotate the snake to clear the blockage.
- Slowly pull the snake out of the drain to remove the clogged material.
You can also make your own snakes with a wire hook. Take the hanger, and then straighten it. Next, bend one end into a hook. Next, run your hook down the drain to remove any obstructions. Flush the drain with hot water when there is nothing left. Using a wire hanger to unclog your toilet, sink or fixture could cause damage
Your bathroom plunger may be the best solution to your blocked or poor-performing drains. Cover any overflow vents on the fixture. Cover the drain opening with the plunger, and continue to press down for approximately one to two minutes. A steady buildup in air pressure can cause significant pipe blockage.
You can make toilet bombs with just a few ingredients to combat stubborn clogs. These ingredients are required:
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1/4 cup Epsom salt
- 9 tablespoons liquid dish detergent
Mix all ingredients, then pour the mixture into muffin liners. Allow the bombs to dry overnight. Remove the bomb from its liner once you have cleared it. Then, pour five cups of hot water into your toilet. Let it sit for 4 hours and then flush the clog out!
Drain Cleaning Tips
You can do regular inspections yourself, or hire a qualified professional to do it for you. Knowing what your drains can and can’t process is one of the best ways limit clogging. These are some ways to avoid a local Long Beach Plumber’s visit.
- Do not pour grease down the kitchen sink. You can pour any cooking grease in an empty coffee cup or similar container and then toss it in your trash.
- You can dispose of uncooked potato and carrot peels, as well as broccoli stems, cobs and husks, and asparagus in a compost pile, or in the trash, instead of throwing them away.
- Do not flush coffee grounds, tea bags, or eggshells down your drain.
- Pasta and rice should not be thrown in the garbage disposal. Consider disposing of similar foods in a compost container or the trash instead.
- Do not put any materials that aren’t going to the drain.
- Toss any hair that isn’t necessary after you have taken a shower or brushed your hair. Hair can buildup and trap soap scum down your drains.
- Fill the sink with water, and then let it go to flush your pipes.