It turns out that water wastage is caused by seemingly minor leakages in household plumbing fixtures or household water fixtures. 10% of the homes in the USA lose 90+ gallons each day due to small fixture leaks. This amounts to more than 10,000 Gallons per year. This is enough water to wash almost 300 loads of laundry.
Think about how this affects your water bill. These small leaks can save you about 10% on your average home’s water bill… which adds up to quite a bit at the end! It’s worthwhile to find out if you have minor leaks. If so, fix them immediately. There is an easy and quick way to find out if your water meter has any water leaks.
5 SIMPLE STEPS FOR CHECKING YOUR HOME FOR WATER LEAKAGE AT YOUR WATER METER.
- All water supply sources within the house should be turned off. This includes the washing machine, dishwasher, and faucets. It is important to ensure that no water is being used.
- Purchase a water meter keys. You can find this device in most home improvement shops. This is a long rod that has a key at its top. It can be used to turn on or off the water supply to your home. This key unlocks the lid of your city water meter connection
- Locate your water meter. A residential water meter will be located near your curb in front of your home. You will find a white or black steel lid in the grassy area that runs between your street and your street.
- Open the lid using the key.
- Pay attention to the meter. There are two types of meters you will see: A Pinwheel with black stripes and silver; or a Triangle, which is the most common.
To check if the triangle or pinwheel is moving, look closely at it. If it is moving, this means that water is passing through the meter. If so, it means that water is entering the meter.
Our Long Beach Plumbers suggest you pay attention to how fast the spins. A pinwheel or triangle that is spinning slowly can indicate a minor leak. A more serious leak is one that spins faster, and which can be easily identified.
Water leaks can be detected and fixed to help lower your water waste and save money. These issues can be fixed quickly and cost little, but they pay off in the long-term. Check your water meter today for any water leaks.