Did you ever finish washing dishes but the water drains slowly? Are your feet left to soak in standing water after turning off the shower? Clogged drains can be a problem. From a kitchen Sink clogged with grease, to hair and soap buildup keeping the bathtub or shower from draining, it can cause a lot of pain.
How can you keep your water flowing freely and prevent clogs? Here are some tips to clear clogs in the future.
Unclog Household Drains
These are common things you can use to remove clogs: a plunger, white vinegar and baking soda.
Unclogging a Sink Drain
To keep your kitchen running smoothly, it is important to have a clear drain. Your sink can become clogged quickly when you are preparing or cleaning up after meals. Here are four methods to unclog your sink drain.
- Remove the plug. Clean the gunk from under the drain stopper. This can sometimes be the root cause of slow sink draining.
- Sink Plunger – Pour hot water down your drain to loosen it, then use a plunger or a sandpaper to remove any debris.
- Baking soda and white vinegar: This is a great way of clearing a blocked drain with common household items. To soften the blockage, pour hot water down the drain. Next, pour 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cups of vinegar down your drain. Let the mixture simmer for a while before securing the sink plug. To flush the drain, use hot water to clean it completely.
- Use a Drain Snake For really stubborn clogs, you might need to use a drain snake. It is either a flexible auger, or a steel cable that can reach into the pipe and clear stubborn clogs. The snake will rotate by craking its handle (some models have an electric driver). This will cause it to move deeper into the pipe, where it can latch onto the clog. Once you feel like the snake has connected to the blockage, remove the auger and use rubber gloves to get rid of the waste.
Unclogging a Tub Drain
It can be frustrating to wait for the bathwater to drain, especially if you are waiting for someone else to use the shower. To unclog a bathtub drain, you can try the above methods (How to Unclog A Sink Drain).
- Get rid of the plug
- Use a Plunger
- Vinegar and Baking Soda
- Drain Snake
Drain Clog Prevention Tips
While drain clogs will always happen, a proactive approach to preventing them can reduce the damage they cause. These are some simple steps you can take to prevent drain clogs.
- After every shower or bath, clean your hair in the bathroom drains.
- You should be aware of what is going down the kitchen sink. You should throw away all tough, starchy, greasy food and skins.
- To melt any grease or other debris, you should clean out your drains at least once a month with hot water and vinegar.
Are you stuck with drain clogs? Get in touch with the pros
A blocked drain can cause water to stop flowing and can also stop you from cleaning up, cooking, or other household chores. If none of the above methods work, you should call a local Long Beach Plumber.