Garages are a beautiful structure that can be used for many purposes. The garage can be used to protect vehicles and other items from the elements. In addition, it can also be used as an entertainment space, a workout area, workshop, or hobby zone.
It can be used for many purposes so it is a good idea that you have a garage floor drain to collect any liquids or water that might leak or spill. Dirt and other debris can also get into the garage floor drain. This can cause a blockage. Clearing the blockage can resolve most garage floor drain clogs. You can do this by removing the grate and removing any debris.
How to Unclog Garage Floor Drains
Prior to going into the steps, let’s not forget that there are two types of garage floor drains. A round floor drain is the most common. It has a hole about a foot in the concrete floor that is covered with a grate.
A trench drain is the second type. It has a rectangular opening in its floor that allows water to be collected. Trench floor drains can be more costly to install, but they are less likely to clog.
These steps will help you fix a clogged floor garage.
- First, locate the drain in your garage (using the descriptions provided earlier): Keep in mind that concrete floors slope towards the drain to divert water.
- Remove the grate: The drain grate will need to be removed. The clog may also be caused by the grate being covered with debris.
- Check the drain for blockages” You will need gloves, a flashlight, as well as a small tool such a screwdriver or trowel for this step. Check the floor drain for debris, such as pet hair, leaves, paper products, dirt clumps, or other solid objects. Your tool can be used to clean out as much gunk (for want of better terms) from the drain.
- Hot water can be used to flush the drain: After you have cleared the drain of all debris, heat (but not boiling), water and push the sediment through the pipe. Important: Do not use chemical drain cleaners.
- Attach the grate: Clean up the area. If the drain gets clogged, clean it up and watch out for any resulting water or liquid backups.
Knowing When is it Time to Call a Plumber for your Garage Floor Drain to be Unclogged
If you are unable to clear your garage floor drain with this method, it could be a bigger problem that requires professional assistance.